Thursday, August 4, 2011

Unschooling

The idea of "unschooling" is very idealistic, but I love it.

I was the kind of kid that couldn't deal at public high school.  All the drama, all the bullshit, all the pointless politics and cookie-cutter lesson plans.  Being forced to sit at a desk in a classroom like a hen in a cage - that's not how I produce my eggs.

I need freedom!  I need options, a choice, a little bit of space.  I'm a leader, not a follower, and public school ended up seriously cramping my style.

After attending 4 high schools in one blur of a sophomore year I finally settled into a small private school with a more individualized curriculum.  I was the kind of kid, and teenager, who couldn't sit still.  I still can't really - that's why I started this blog.  I need this in order to simply get through my 9-5!   I think this is now commonly referred to as ADHD.  But I don't think it's a disability, I think it's a gift. 

I loved the high school I ended up at.  And I’m so fortunate that my dad was willing to send me there!  The tuition wasn’t super high, but we did live in one of the best school districts in the state according to standardized testing (that’s a-whole-nother post, coming later), so the fact that my dad was willing to shell out the 8k or so a year was simply awesome.  Go Dad.

Anyway, at this oasis of educational freedom, I was shocked that I could call my teachers by their first names!  This changed the dynamic entirely.  My teachers didn’t talk down to me and they didn’t order me around or make me do pointless busywork.  They ask my opinion about current affairs and they were actually interested in my answers!  I was in heaven.

After years of feeling isolated, frustrated and being shuffled around and racking up more detention hours than I thought humanly possible to ever complete, I had finally found a school at which I could feel like I wasn't compromising myself.  I could just be me and I wasn’t constantly struggling to fit into (or escape from) the rigid regime.  I didn’t feel the need to smoke cigs in the parking lot or cut class.  I actually found myself getting really into my course work and developing new interests!

I graduated salutatorian and student body president.  Although my high school was “alternative,” I still did very well on my SATs and got into a great university.  I think it’s worth it to consider educational options…especially if your child is on the creative/curious side of the pendulum or has a natural aversion to arbitrary authority.

I say we should push our kids to think outside the box and always be questioning things.  That is, if they want to.  Some people are fine with rules and regulations and even embrace them or lean on them as a crutch.  Not to offend, it takes all types to make this world go ‘round.  But I am NOT that way, so my “alternative” high school education was the right choice for me.

How do you want your kids to be educated?      

No comments:

Post a Comment